Before you take a product from the shelf to your trolley, do you stop to read through the ingredients? Paying close attention to the contents of a skincare product helps you know what your skin needs and will love eventually. There are so many organic ingredients that work like magic on the skin. In this article, we’ll be looking closely at one particular organic herb to look out for in your skincare products. This organic herb is called Coneflower. Here is everything you need to know about this ingredient.
Coneflower, also known as echinacea, pronounced eck-in-ay-sha, has been around for ages. It is an herbal medicine used for flu, cold, eczema, and psoriasis. Coneflower is a fantastic immune booster used way back in the Native American Medicine era.
Aside from its great benefits on the immune system, coneflower, or echinacea, works wonders on the skin. In recent years, this herbal medicine has been incorporated into skincare products to fight against aging and several other skin problems.
Skin benefits of Coneflower
Coneflower, or Eschinae, treats various skin problems and leaves visible effects after long usage on the skin.
It Protects Your Skin From UV Rays
It’s no news that UV rays from the sun are highly detrimental to the skin and every part of the body. Our skin is under daily attack from UV rays and environmental pollutants.
Coneflower is packed with compounds such as phenolic acids, rosmarinic acid, polyacetylenes, echinacoside, flavonoids, alkylamides, and cichoric acid. The antioxidants in coneflower, rosmarinic acid, and cichoric acid help protect the skin from ultraviolet rays.
It Fights Wrinkles
Echinacea is loaded with flavonoids, cichoric acid, and rosmarinic acid, which help to shrink pores and fade wrinkles and visible lines on the skin.
Wrinkles are caused by several factors. Some of them include:
- UV rays: This is the primary cause of wrinkles. The UV rays are highly detrimental to the skin. It speeds up the natural aging process and destroys the collagen and elastic fibers of the skin.
- Age: Your skin naturally loses its elasticity and firmness as you get older. Your skin becomes drier, and wrinkles begin to appear.
- Smoking: Like the UV rays, smoking speeds up the natural aging process of the skin.
- Lack of moisture: Moisture is the food for the skin. When your skin lacks the moisture it needs, wrinkles and fine lines begin to appear.
Although wrinkles can not be entirely avoided, you can minimize their appearance. Below are some tips:
- Wear sunscreen! Sunscreen isn’t for the ladies alone. Men also need to protect their skin from UV rays. La Roche Posay is an excellent choice.
- Asides from sunscreen, you can protect your skin from the sun by wearing protective clothing such as hats, sunglasses, and long-sleeved shirts. It will also help if you limit the amount of time you spend in the sun.
- Moisturize regularly! This can not be overemphasized. Just like humans need water, the skin also needs moisture to survive. Lack of moisture leads to the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Moisture traps water in your skin, thereby reducing the appearance of wrinkles. Get a good moisturizing face cream to do this.
- Stay hydrated. Your internal and external body parts need moisture. If you drink enough water, your skin also stays hydrated. Take a bottle of water with you anywhere you go.
- Avoid smoking. One of the causes of premature wrinkles is smoking. If you don’t want your skin to get all wrinkled up, quit smoking! Smoking has a negative effect on the collagen and elastic fibers of your skin.
- Eat healthy. Whatever you give your body, it gives back. If you give your body an unhealthy and unbalanced diet, it gives you dry and unhealthy skin. As they commonly say, you are what you eat!
It fights Acne And Breakouts
Acne is a big concern for people with oily and acne-prone skin. Research has shown that the antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties of Echinacea slow the growth of Propionibacterium, a common cause of acne.
Using harsh chemicals to wash off excess oils from your face will only worsen matters. Instead, opt for products that contain Echinacea which works as a gentle cleanser on the skin.
Skin Products Rich In Coneflower
- Na Pali Pure Anti-aging Serum contains Echinacea extracts which help to diminish wrinkles.
- HEY HONEY Tone It Up! Propolis & Echinacea Herbal Toner – This herbal toner contains Echinacea, honeysuckle, and Propolis. These ingredients have antimicrobial agents, also a soothing and calm effect on the skin.
- Shieling Echinacea Oil – Its primary ingredients include Glycine Soja Oil (and) Echinacea Purpurea Root Extract. This product possesses anti-aging, anti-acne, and anti-inflammatory properties.
Health Benefits Of Coneflower
Apart from its skin benefits, coneflower provides great health benefits to men. This herbaceous perennial plant boasts of several health benefits, which include:
Relieves Upper Respiratory Problems
Coneflower is known to relieve patients from health conditions such as bronchitis, acute sinusitis, diphtheria, asthma, strep throat, and cough.
Coneflower contains a compound called echinacein. This compound inhibits viral and bacterial agents from entering healthy cells, consequently reducing your chances of getting an infection.
Furthermore, Coneflower treats infections, including urinary tract infections, vaginal yeast infections, bloodstream infections, ear infections, gum infections, genital herpes, syphilis, malaria, and typhoid.
Increases White Blood Cells Production
Aside from its inhibiting ability, coneflower increases the production of white blood cells. The white blood cells are the soldiers of the body, and they help to fight against diseases—a decrease in white blood cell count results in susceptibility to infections.
Controls Blood Sugar Levels
Studies have shown that an Echinacea purpurea extract suppresses enzymes that digest carbohydrates, consequently reducing blood sugar levels. Due to its antioxidant properties, coneflower prevents drops in hypoglycemic patients and spikes in diabetic patients.
Coneflower contains compounds such as rosmarinic acid, caffeic acid, and alkamides that help feelings of anxiety. Coneflower cures Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) in both adults and children.
Reduces Your Risk Of Cancer
Cancer is one of the commonest diseases in recent times. It is the uncontrolled growth of cells that spreads around the body, ultimately weakening the body’s ability to fight back.
Over the years, coneflower is known to reduce your risk of developing cancer. As mentioned earlier in the article, coneflower boosts immunity and increases white blood cells count. All these factors help to stimulate the body to fight against cancerous cells.
DIY Echinacea Face Mask For Blemish-free Skin
There are so many DIYs to use echinacea for your skin. If you’re the type that rather makes your skincare products yourself, here are a few ways to use Echinacea and reap the amazing benefits it has to offer.
Echinacea Powder + Honey
Honey is one of nature’s best ingredients that offers numerous benefits not just to your skin but also to your health. It possesses antibacterial and antiseptic properties that help to cleanse the skin deeply.
Honey is rich in antioxidants and flavonoids that are great for the skin. You can get a jar of pure honey from the grocery store. You don’t have to worry about it getting spoiled. As long as you store it well, you’re good to go!
Benefits Of Honey For Your Skin
- It helps to minimize wrinkles.
- It is a gentle exfoliator for your skin and face.
- It cleanses your pores.
- It moisturizes your skin.
- It is great for fading scars.
- It fights acne and pimples.
Here’s how to use Honey and Echinacea Powder for your skin.
For this recipe, you would need:
- 2 tbsp of Echinacea leaf powder. To get this, simply dry echinacea leaves for a few days and blend them in a blender.
- 1 tbsp of pure honey
- 1 drop of one or more essential oils of your choice.
Step 1: Mix all ingredients in a clean bowl.
Step 2: Stir thoroughly with a spoon or spatula.
Step 3: Spread evenly on your skin. Carefully avoid your eyes and lips.
Step 4: Allow to sit on your face for 15-30 minutes.
Step 5: Rinse off thoroughly with warm water.
This is probably one of the easiest ways to use echinacea. To do this, follow these steps:
Step 1: Brew a few tea bags of Echinacea tea or boil fresh and clean echinacea leaves.
Step 2: Allow to cool for a few minutes.
Step 3: Dip a cotton ball into the tea.
Step 4: Apply gently to your skin in circular motions.
Step 5: Allow to sit on your face for 5-10 minutes.
Step 6: Rinse off with warm water.
Skincare is an important daily routine that must be taken seriously. Men can also take care of their skin by following a strict routine, staying hydrated, and paying close attention to the ingredients in their skincare products.
Next time you go shopping for skincare products, look out for products that contain these two magic ingredients, and your skin will love you for it! If you’re a DIY lover, follow any of these steps to make yourself a simple face mask that your skin will love.